The importance of the Neighborhood House to the community is apparent by the number of companies and individuals who contributed to its support. A list of hundreds of donors includes the names of some of Toledo's most prominent citizens. Here can be found the names Ernest Tiedtke, Thomas DeVilbiss, Edward Ford, General Sherwood, Mr. Walbridge, Mr. Detwiler and Mr. LaSalle, along with such east side names as Winchester, Hoeflinger, Eggleston, Gardner and Tucker. Edward Drummond Libbey was also an important early benefactor.
Immigrants continued to flood into America during the years immediately following World War I. Rev. Hoover and Mark Winchester led the efforts of the Americanization Movement to help these new arrivals adjust to the life in this country and as the need increased, the Neighborhood House continued to grow.
By 1927 there were three buildings on the Vinal Street property. During the dark days of the Great Depression the bad times began to take their toll on the working class families of East Toledo and the Neighborhood House lost its founder when the Rev. Hoover passed away in early 1932. An article by Isabel Toppin of the East Side Sun family records that "now many are losing the houses they tried hard to maintain." she continues "the streams of little wagons and push carts headed for the city's dole measures the depression into which we have fallen". It would be during these times that the Neighborhood House would be needed all the more. Ms. Toppin goes on to say "In the midst of the general unhappiness, the Neighborhood House has striven to relieve the drab hopelessness of the situation". During these hard times the Neighborhood House was often a last resort for people. People would borrow a table for a wedding or a chair for a funeral.
They would borrow the large coffee pot for a family party. Volunteers would bring in clothing, a baker would send surplus stock and mothers, as it was recorded, would "accomplish wonders with a yard of goods and a button. The Neighborhood House became a clearing house for the needs of the community and the human spirit would not be extinguished by these hard times. By the 1940's as the economic times began to improve and the Neighborhood House continued to provide a place for people of all ages in the community to grow and become better citizens and better Americans.